As a general rule, I think ceiling fans are ugly. Unfortunately, in my little ol’ apartment sans central air, I need to have a ceiling fan to help circulate the air, especially since I’m prone to burning things in my tiny ol’ kitchen.
After a year of trying to ignore this ugly ceiling fan, one day I broke down and decided that I had to do something about it.
I looked in to buying a pretty ceiling fan, but the only pretty fan I could find was this one by Minka-Aire, and it retails for around $1,000.
So, I turned to plan B which was to give my current ceiling fan a facelift. Here’s what I did:
The gold/brass accents had to go/be spray-painted white. To get to them I used a screwdriver to disassemble the fan like so:
Remove the light bulbs and unscrew the glass light covers.
Unscrew the fan blades.
Unscrew the fan brackets from the fan blades.
Unclip the ball-chain pulls.
Then, the brass ring around the base of the fan could not be detached so I blocked off the surrounding parts of the fan with newspaper and painters tape.
And before I got to spraying, I made sure to cover the floor and nearby walls with a tarp and used sheets since spray paint has the propensity to float through the air and get on EVERYTHING.
Then finally I started with the paint - I did three light coasts, waiting about 15 minutes between each coat. I used Rusto-oleum’s all surface gloss pure white spray paint. As far as I’m concerned it’s the best spray paint at Home Depot.
While I was waiting for the fan parts to be dry enough for re-assembly, I worked on a shade to replace the three tacky light bulb covers.
I took a 15-inch drum lampshade I’d scored at HomeGoods for $12 and covered it using a yard of white spotted fabric and some white grosgrain ribbon from Joanne’s. The process I followed was exactly the same as this which I described in my post about my bedroom lampshades.
I also made some new pulls to replace the ball-chain ones. I used fishing line and these white glass beads from Joanne’s.
When everything was dry, I attached the shade to the fan – the little circle part of the shade designed to sit on top of a lamp’s harp fit perfectly onto this little round part of the ceiling fan.
I discarded the glass light covers and the ball-chain pulls, reattached the fan blades and brackets, and then the facelift was complete. Here’s the result:
I'm really pleased with how this turned out. In fact, it might be one of my most proud DIY projects to date. If you’re a fan (pun intended) pretty please sign up to become a subscriber of this, my Very Fond Of blog. More details here.