Every year on my birthday I'm reminded that I have the best friends and family IN THE WORLD. This year was no exception. I had a great birthday. To everyone who sent birthday wishes via Facebook, e-mail, phone, mail, and/or in person- thank you, you made me feel exceedingly special.
|My dad lighting the 27 (26 + 1 for good luck) candles on my very small Smith Island birthday cake.|
I think birthdays (as well as any day of the week that ends in y) are a good time to set goals. In fact I'm currently reading this book where I learned: "People who regularly write down their goals earn nine times as much over their lifetimes as the people who don't, and yet 80% of Americans say they don't have goals. Sixteen percent do have goals but don't write them down. Less than four percent write down their goals, and fewer than one percent actually review them on a ongoing basis."
So, as I embark on my 27th trip around the sun, I'm setting out to accomplish these 27 goals (in no particular order):
1. Make a painting or drawing to give as a gift.
2. Start saving to buy a house.
3. Visit my cousins in Oregon.
4. Go digital with my agenda and address book.
5. Complete an olympic distance triathlon.
6. Take a dance class.
7. Take a woodworking class.
8. Corral my post college pictures and mementos into a coffee table book/scrapbook.
9. Grow my blog to 27 times its current size, 26 subscribers x 27 = 702 subscribers.
10. Become a Rescue Squad Third.
11. Read six books.
12. Cook dinner for my night crew.
13. Fix up a piece of furniture and sell it.
14. Start my own store on Etsy.
15. Host five dinner parties at my place.
16. Do seven pull-ups in a row.
17. Write in a journal twice a week.
18. Organize the pages I tear out of design magazines.
19. Become a Weight Watchers Life Member.
20. Significantly pare down my things in storage.
21. Be blonde.
22. Teach myself three ways to style my own hair.
23. Plant a garden.
24. Wear every piece of jewelry I own at least once.
25. Visit two Washington DC tourist attractions.
26. Cash in 100 coupons.
27. Review these goals once a month.
I'll be back with my first goal update at the end of August. In the meantime, I'll be sharing a whole bunch of design projects with you including a summer table setting, updates in my kitchen, progress on my free art gallery wall, my ceiling fan makeover, and more.
If you haven't already, please sign up to be a Very Fond Of blog subscriber. Besides helping me get closer to goal #9 (above), signing up as a subscriber will make you cooler, here are the details.
And, again, thank you to everyone who sent their love and wishes which made me feel exceedingly special on my birthday. I repeat: I have the best friends and family IN THE WORLD.